So, a few days have passed and I have managed to get a few more things sorted on the project.
The first of these is that House A1 is close to complete. The longest part of any card house construction is always the roof. I am going for rough/worn wooden shingles on this one and as you can see below I have completed all but the top.
The shingles are made in rows from cereal packet card, snipped and distressed to look worn. Underneath the card is some stiffer card from cat-food sachet boxes to support it.
The overhang is not too big as I want to leave room for people to be able to move figures down the alleyway next to it. This will then be undercoated, washed with the shingle colour and then it is ready to go.
Inside the house is a detachable upper and a lower floor, both with wooden planks inscribed on them. A space for the staircase allows me to easily remove the upper floor. The height of each storey is about 40mm, which allows most 28-30mm figures to fit reasonably well.
This house will be one owned by a merchant so I have painted the plaster a rich blue, and I shall put a shop counter and dividing wall downstairs.
Here are two shots showing how the board looks with a few more buildings on. None of these are complete, they mostly just need repainting. I have added a few figures for scale.
I have about a dozen older card buildings that I shall be reworking to fit this project. In all they cover most of the first three boards. I think that I shall have to create about four more. Then it is a matter of adding yard walls and fencing, some incidental terrain and the first three boards will be done.
After that I have the Abbey with its monks hospice and cloister board to and part one of the project is done.